Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A hero among us


I never knew Glen Hubbard Stevens.

My granddad’s little brother died more than 15 years before I was born.

A newspaper obituary reports Sgt. Stevens was killed in action on D-Day, June 6, 1944, and that’s what’s inspired me to learn more about him.

A real hero among us Stevens’? Imagine that.

Records show my great uncle was a member of the 507th Parachute Infantry Regiment that first saw combat during the Normandy Invasion. Its mission was to establish defensive positions near the west bank of the Merderet River.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt cited the regiment for “outstanding performance of duty in action against the enemy between 6 and 9 June 1944 during the invasion of France,” and so I guess the mission must have been accomplished.

My mission, with this blog, is simply to get to know Glen Hubbard Stevens – how he lived and how he died – and share that information with all who share my interest.

In the words of Mauridell Bennett, my dad’s cousin and a dedicated chronicler of our family’s history, “This needs to be passed down the generations.”

1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful blog, and an inspiration to the rest of us, even though we might not know you or your family. Glen Hubbard would be proud.

    ReplyDelete